Make Your Own Coconut Bowl
It's super easy to make your own coconut bowl. All you need is a coconut shell and a few simple tools to make your own rustic bowls!
If you purchase a coconut shell from the market or supermarket you can cut the coconut shell in half using a saw. Or you can purchase one of our coconut shells that are ready to go.
What You Need
- Coconut Shell
- Sandpaper - course and medium grit.
- Coconut Oil.
- Linseed Oil - or any food-safe lacquer (optional)
- Use sandpaper to sand the entire outside surface of the coconut shell until you get the desired effect.
- Work lightly if you don’t want to remove too much of the natural texture.
- Using a cloth, rub the inside and outside of the bowl with coconut oil. Coconut oil will seal and bring out the natural shine of the coconut bowl.
Note: The coconut shell will look darker after you apply coconut oil.
- Let the coconut shell dry for 1 hour and apply coconut oil again.
Optional - After your bowl is dry, brush some linseed oil on the outside of the bowl. You will need to repeat this step drying in between to 100% seal your coconut bowl.
DIY Coconut Bowl Care Tips
- Hand wash with warm water.
- Not dishwasher or microwave safe.
- Don’t leave it to soak in water.
- Polish with coconut oil every 10 or so uses to restore its smooth and shiny surface.
If you give this DIY project a try, then we would love to see how your creations turned out.