Tomato & Basil Soup
This soup is everything I want tomato soup to be! It’s rich and creamy and bursting with amazing tomato flavour.
It is excellent with canned tomatoes, but you can also use fresh tomatoes. Tips for canned and fresh tomatoes are found in the recipe below. If you love quick, no-fuss recipes, this is it!
This soup stores beautifully and tastes better the second day. You can keep it in the refrigerator as long as you bring it to a boil every two days. Or you can stash it in the freezer for up to three months.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g broccoli (optional)
- 600g tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups Chicken liquid stock
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add broccoli and tomato paste.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add stock and season with pepper.
- Cover and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes
- Set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Add basil and blend in batches until smooth.
- Best served in your jumbo coconut bowl and enjoy with your ebony wood spoon.
This soup is delicious with and without basil. Adding a handful of fresh basil at the end before blending the soup is a fantastic idea.