Jamu Kunyit Asam (Turmeric Ginger Tamarind Juice)
Jamu is a traditional medicinal drink from Indonesia that is made from natural ingredients that include roots, bark, flowers, seeds, leaves and fruits.
An age-old treatment derived from natural plant-based materials, Jamu takes its power from the spectacular range of herbs and spices that grow in Indonesia’s cool highlands.
This classic version is known as Jamu Kunyit Asam which is made with turmeric and tamarind.
It contains strong anti-inflammatory properties and is best served in the morning. Put your apron on and let's get started!
- 200g fresh turmeric.
- 60g tamarind pulp.
- 20g fresh ginger
- 4 tbsp brown sugar - or honey.
- 1 litre water.
- 1 pinch salt.
- With the help of a spoon peel the turmeric and cut it into pieces.
- In a blender, mix the turmeric with 500ml of water until it turns into a smooth paste.
- Squeeze the turmeric paste with the help of a cheesecloth or a strainer into a pan.
- Add the rest of the water and place the pan to boil over medium heat.
- When it boils, add the tamarind pulp, ginger, salt and the sugar or honey.
- Cook it over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Taste, if needed, add more sugar or tamarind pulp and cook for a few more minutes.
- Turn off the heat - use a strainer to drain all the liquid from the pan and transfer the liquid to a bottle.
- Serve hot or cold in your coconut cup.
TIP: Be mindful that turmeric can stain! So wash your blender and chopping board immediately after using.
Typically 'Jamu Juice' is served chilled straight out of the fridge or over ice. But, you can also warm it up a bit if you’re in a colder environment. Serve in your coconut cup for the authentic experience.
This healthy drink should last about 1 week in the fridge. Just make sure to store it in an airtight jar and give it a good stir or shake before serving.
It’s not surprising that Indonesia became the birthplace of Jamu, the ancient herbal medicine which is said to have originated during the Mataram Kingdom in Java over 1000 years ago.