Fried Oyster Mushrooms
These deep-fried mushrooms are a favourite in our family. They always get rave reviews and they are great for movie night, game day and cocktails with friends.
Fried mushrooms are crispy on the outside, and tender and juicy on the inside, making for a fun snack or tasty appetizer.
WHAT KIND OF MUSHROOM WORKS BEST?
I like to use oyster mushrooms but you could also use small crimini mushrooms or the common small white button mushrooms. Trim the stems a little bit on both types of mushrooms and be sure to wash and dry the mushrooms well. Do not submerge the mushrooms in water just rinse with running water.
- 500 grams fresh oyster mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- ¾ to 1 cup corn starch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Cooking oil for deep frying
- Tear large mushrooms vertically into two to three portions.
- Place all the mushrooms in a large mixing bowl and toss with the salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg then pour into the bowl with the mushrooms. Mix well to coat each piece of mushroom with egg.
- Whisk together half of the starch with the baking powder and dump into the bowl with the egg-coated mushrooms.
- Mix to distribute evenly. If the mixture appears too wet, you may add another quarter cup of starch. For a thicker coating, use all of the starch.
- Heat the wok. Pour in enough cooking oil to reach a depth of at least three inches at the centre.
- Fry the oyster mushrooms in batches until golden and crisp.
- Drain the cooked mushrooms on a rack, cook the next batch, and so on, until all the mushrooms have been fried.
- Sprinkle the fried mushrooms with salt (if you're a salt lover, consider using big crystals of crunchy sea salt at this point) and serve hot.
- You can enjoy as-is or serve your mushrooms with the dip or condiment of your choice in your coconut bowl or coconut plate.
These little flavour bombs are magical dipped in the mayonnaise, teriyaki, ranch or Buffalo sauce.
Fried mushrooms are best enjoyed fresh, but leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Re-crisp in the oven before serving.